Plea issued for south Norfolk Borderhoppa driver volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A community travel service which provides a vital lifeline to people in rural locations in a large swathe of Norfolk is appealing for volunteer drivers.
Borderhoppa, which provides community transport across more than 40 parishes in south Norfolk, says it urgently needs volunteer drivers to help with regular outings for residents in areas covered by the scheme.
Lucy Edwards, the Borderhoppa manager, said: 'Community transport works because of the goodwill and time given by people who volunteer as drivers, office staff and trustees.
'What we really need right now are drivers to help with our special outings, including trips to the coast, lunches and visits to garden centres.
'Social isolation and loneliness are real problems in rural areas, especially for older residents, and community transport is often that vital link to being able to get out and about, contributing to good health and mental well-being.'
Volunteer drivers need to have a D1 category on their licence to drive a minibus with no more than 18 passengers. Mileage expenses are paid.
In total Borderhoppa, based at Rushall, near Diss, covers 56 parishes in south Norfolk and north Suffolk.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 4 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 5 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 6 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 9 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 10 World War Two aircraft to fly over Norfolk's skies
To find out more about volunteering, call Borderhoppa on 01379 854800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit www.borderhoppa.org to find out about the scheme.