Plea issued for south Norfolk Borderhoppa driver volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A community travel service which provides a vital lifeline to people in rural locations in a large swathe of Norfolk is appealing for volunteer drivers.
Borderhoppa, which provides community transport across more than 40 parishes in south Norfolk, says it urgently needs volunteer drivers to help with regular outings for residents in areas covered by the scheme.
Lucy Edwards, the Borderhoppa manager, said: 'Community transport works because of the goodwill and time given by people who volunteer as drivers, office staff and trustees.
'What we really need right now are drivers to help with our special outings, including trips to the coast, lunches and visits to garden centres.
'Social isolation and loneliness are real problems in rural areas, especially for older residents, and community transport is often that vital link to being able to get out and about, contributing to good health and mental well-being.'
You may also want to watch:
Volunteer drivers need to have a D1 category on their licence to drive a minibus with no more than 18 passengers. Mileage expenses are paid.
In total Borderhoppa, based at Rushall, near Diss, covers 56 parishes in south Norfolk and north Suffolk.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 4 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 5 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 6 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
- 7 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 8 WATCH: Demolition of landmark seaside hotel
- 9 Gunn and Walton on City watch list as Nyland future remains unclear
- 10 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
To find out more about volunteering, call Borderhoppa on 01379 854800 or email email@example.com
Visit www.borderhoppa.org to find out about the scheme.