Plaque will mark site of Gorleston horse-drawn trams depot
- Credit: Archant
A blue plaque will be unveiled in Gorleston next week to mark a 'first' in East Anglia and a 170th anniversary.
March 25 is the 170th anniversary of the opening of the Gorleston to Southtown horse-drawn tram service, which was the first in East Anglia.
To mark the occasion, a Great Yarmouth Local History and Archaeological Society blue plaque will be erected and unveiled by the Mayor, Cllr Marlene Fairhead on the site of the tram service main depot – now the present day library. The depot operated from 1875 to 1905.
In 1882, the tram service was extended from Feathers' Plain via Lowestoft Road to the Ship Inn on England's Lane and later to Brush Quay.
By 1905, the borough council had taken over the service and electrified it. This required a smaller depot and coincided with a Carnegie Foundation grant for a new library in the town, so a new building was erected, housing the tram depot to the east and the library, on the corner of Baker Street and Lowestoft Road and designed by the borough architect, J W Cockrill.
You may also want to watch:
The library was opened in 1907.
The tram service gave way to buses in 1930, but the library remained until 1975, when the joint sites were developed into the present day library.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 6 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 7 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 9 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 10 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
Both tram depots and the Carnegie Library will be recorded on the plaque.
The unveiling will be at 10.30am and a display of pictures relating to the site, organised by Gorleston-on-Sea Heritage group, will be in the library.