Plans go on show for science centre in Downham Market
- Credit: Ian Burt
Plans for a multi-million pound facility specialising in one of the fastest growing areas of science are being showcased in Downham Market for the first time.
The Centre for Advanced Knowledge Engineering has been earmarked for the former RAF Downham Market site at Bexwell and will be the first of its kind in Europe.
Proposals for the development are on display to the public today.
When built, the 90 acre site will focus on the big data sector and will include education facilities, research premises and commercial space for companies.
Peter Twist, from Aventa Capital Partners, said £350m in total is expected to be invested into the project and 4,600 permanent new jobs created.
He said: 'We want to find out what people in Downham Market really think about this - the positives and the negatives.
'Many of the sceptics wonder why we want this in a rural community but we are trying to raise aspirations of young people here with this development.'
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 6 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 7 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 8 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 9 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 10 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
He added that a date when plans will be submitted is to be confirmed.
Meanwhile John Beer, who is championing the project locally, explained there has been interest in this kind of facility with the cancer research community in particular highlighting the need.
Subject to planning approval, construction will begin towards the end of this year with the first buildings scheduled for completion within a year.
- The plans will be on display at the town hall between 10am and 3pm.
- What did you think to the proposals? Email firstname.lastname@example.org