Plans for old prison club
IAN CLARKE Planning officers are advising councillors to back proposals to convert the former Wayland Prison officers' social club, near Watton, into housing despite strong local opposition.
Planning officers are advising councillors to back proposals to convert the former Wayland Prison officers' social club, near Watton, into housing despite strong local opposition.
Plans have been sent to Breckland Council to turn the dilapidated building at Watton Road, Griston, into 12 dwellings and put up three bungalows to the rear.
Griston Parish Council has objected and there has been opposition from local people on the grounds of impact on the village character, loss of amenity and traffic.
However, Breckland officials argue the site is suitable for residential development and point out the scheme has been scaled down from the previous application.
A report to Monday's development control committee also said the project would prevent the building falling into further dereliction.
- 1 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 2 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 3 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 4 Dog and group cut off by tide saved after being spotted waist-high in water
- 5 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 8 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 9 Lowestoft's new beach huts hit the market at £30,000 each
- 10 Couple put 'TARDIS' home with 'amazing' sea views up for sale for £475k
Officers want trees to be retained, impact to be minimised on neighbours and affordable housing to be included.
Meanwhile, members will be recommended to refuse an application to increase the number of caravans at the Park Farm Caravan site at Griston from eight to 12.
Breckland officers argue that four more would create an "unwarranted intrusion into this rural landscape."