Plans approved for 80-bed dementia care home and 92-apartment housing with care scheme in Bowthorpe
- Credit: Archant © 2007
A £19m 'care village' on the outskirts of Norwich has been given the green light.
Norwich City Council's planning committee today unanimously agreed to grant permission for an 80-bed specialist dementia care home and 92-apartment housing with care scheme at Three Score in Bowthorpe.
Bosses at care company NorseCare had already struck a deal with Norwich City Council to be given a 2.3 hectare patch of land at Three Score to build the 'care village', but needed to secure planning permission for the development.
The proposal also features a 'village hub', including a shop, café, hairdressers, a day care service and a community wildlife garden.
Bosses at NorseCare, owned by Norfolk County Council, say the 'hub' could be used by the wider community.
You may also want to watch:
NorseCare bid for £4.2m from the Homes and Communities Agency and Department of Health in July, which will help kickstart the £18.9m development, creating 118 jobs.
Mike Sands, city and county councillor for Bowthorpe said the proposal had his 'unequivocal' support.
- 1 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 2 Police seal off building site in Norwich
- 3 Family told baby with half a working heart has weeks to live
- 4 Woman on soft-food diet 'forever' after attack by kick-boxer partner
- 5 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 6 Oh deer! Muntjac escorted out of Tesco after sprinting into bakery
- 7 Pub hands out free ice creams during road collision traffic jam
- 8 Left-back seals permanent Canaries exit
- 9 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 10 Bleach thrown at woman from passing car
He said: 'It will fulfil a need for Bowthorpe, in Norwich and in wider Norfolk.'
The city council is looking to build up to 1,000 homes on the site.
What do you think? Write, with full contact details, to Letters Editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE or email firstname.lastname@example.org