Pirate rebellion ensures popular festival will go ahead this year
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A pirate rebellion has ensured a popular festival will go ahead this year.
Pirates were raging after it emerged their popular annual tear up in Wells was to be cancelled.
The Wells Pirate Festival raises money towards the multi-million pound redevelopment of the town's historic maltings building.
The Wells Maltings Trust, which has organised the festival for several years, released a statement on Friday which said: It is with great disappointment and reluctance that The Wells Maltings Trust has decided to cancel the Wells Pirate Festival scheduled for September 15-17.
'The redevelopment of The Maltings has meant that there is a lack of space for some key events which we'd hoped to relocate, but this has proved impossible.
You may also want to watch:
'Additionally our own Captain Blackbeard is about to walk the plank to join a new crew - we will miss the scurvy dog!
'After seven previous successful years The Wells Maltings Trust wish to maintain the standards of previous years and so sadly, for this year only, we have decided we must cancel.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
'For any sponsors, stallholders or entertainers we had previously been in conversation with, we will contact you individually in due course.
'Do not fear the mighty Wells Pirate Festival will return in 2018 with a new home and a new captain.'
However, on Monday, it was confirmed the festival will be going ahead this year and will be organised by East Coast Pirates along with some Wells landlubbers.
Wells resident Joyce Trett said: 'We've met with the East Coast Pirates and we will be ensuring the festival does go ahead this year, with events around the Quay and the harbour.
'We don't have a full plan in place yet, but it will be pretty much as it has been in previous years.
'A lot of the B&Bs are fully booked and people had made plans to come here so we wanted to ensure that people weren't left disappointed.'
East Coast Pirates member Steve Fishpool said: 'There are some disappointed people who had booked accommodation and time off work, so we're going to head to Wells. We hope to do some pirate activities on The Albatros and around the Quay.'
More details about the festival will be released in due course.