Pin-up pooch Benson’s Holt school charity calendar helps military causes
- Credit: Archant
A school's 'pin-up' dog is ready to raise funds for two war heroes charities through his parade ground posing.
Benson the black Labrador is a familiar site at Gresham's School in Holt where he shadows cadet force training officer Colin Scoles' every movement.
But he also appears on hundreds of walls every year on a charity calendar which has a cult following.
Pictures show him in a variety of military settings, from mixing with the school cadets to visiting the officer training college at Sandhurst.
The calendar regularly raises £1,000 split between Help for Heroes and Walking with the Wounded.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Scoles said the idea began as a 'one off' when Benson was a year old puppy and was initially done for the school shooting team.
'Like many ideas, it started off a bit tongue-in-cheek and has just escalated.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 8 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 9 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns
- 10 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
Calendar shots are taken throughout the year, and the 2015 version is the seventh in the series.
'Wherever I go Benson goes, and he is a bit of a poser so the pictures are no problem - though we have to reject some, when he is lying on his back with legs in the air,' said Mr Scoles.
Benson also fathered some puppies this year and £500 from the sale of one of them has been donated to Walking With the Wounded as a charity bonus.
Mr Scoles is already planning next year's calendar which will include a visit to RAF Scampton as a the guest of the Red Arrows, and to his namesake base in Oxfordshire, RAF Benson.
The Benson Calender, costing £10, is now available from reception at the senior and prep schools.
Copies can also be posted by calling reception on 01263 714500.