PICTURE GALLERY: Snip by snip as Dave from North Walsham says goodbye to his beard and hair after 40 years
Dave Thompson is feeling the chill after a sharp snip during the cold snap left him shorn of his beloved beard and flowing locks.
Mr Thompson celebrated his 70th birthday on Sunday with a sponsored shave that left him beard-less for the first time in 40 years.
The former teacher, from Rye Close, North Walsham, was cut down to size at The Bluebell pub, with all donations and sponsorship going to Citizens Advice North Norfolk (CANN).
Before the momentous cut, carried out by local hairdresser Lorraine Wright, he told how he volunteered for CANN and wanted to raise money to support it.
He said: 'I've been working as an advisor for seven years now. We've had 40pc funding cuts and this is to draw attention to that. At the same time the CAB is being asked to take on a lot more work.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'I've had a beard for over 40 years in different shapes and sizes. My children, Francesca and Ben, have never seen me without a beard. They are a bit worried about what I'm going to look like.
'I recently let my hair and beard grow longer as a last protest before I get too old. But then I got fed up with it.'
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 6 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 7 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 8 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 9 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 10 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
Mr Thompson was supported by friends and regulars at the pub. A number of people took the opportunity of giving a �1 donation to the charity in exchange for snipping off one of his locks.
? To make a donation, visit www.virginmoneygiving.com and search for Citizens Advice North Norfolk.