PHOTO UPDATE: Large fire on the edge of Aylsham
Six fire engines and their crews are expecting to be on scene for the rest of the day as they try to douse a blaze that broke out this morning in 6,500 tonnes of animal feed.
The emergency services were called at 7.34am, and there are now crews fighting the fire from Aylsham, North Walsham, Reepham and Sprowston, plus the aerial ladder platform from Earlham and a water carrier from Hethersett.
The fire is in a barn at Frontier Agriculture on the Dunkirk industrial estate on the outskirts of Aylsham.
Members of staff at the site came in on their day off to use diggers to move tonnes of the feed nuts to speed up the process of putting out the fire. No people or animals are in danger.
John Baker, station manager and incident commander, said: 'It's going to be a long job because there's 6,500 tonnes of animal feed and its blazing at the top, where it is not easy to reach.
You may also want to watch:
'We will probably be here all day because we will have to take all of the feed away to ensure that it stops smouldering. We're hoping the fire is not too far into the feed.'
Mr Baker said special mention should be made to the Frontier workers who had come in on their day off to help with the emergency operation.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 7 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 8 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 9 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
- 10 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
? Do you have photos of the fire? Call Steve Downes on 01263 513920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.