Photo gallery: Players line up for triple bowls on Great Yarmouth seafront
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
Almost 150 people are competing in the inaugural Open Triples outdoor bowls tournament on Great Yarmouth seafront.
Forty-eight teams of three are playing on the Britannia Greens this weekend, with the quarters, semis and grand final scheduled to take place tomorrow (Sunday).
The two-day tournament was sponsored by Great Yarmouth Borough Council and is being overseen by stalwart tournament manager Derek Webster, recent recipient of the Queen's British Empire Medal (BEM).
With total prize money of £1,200, players have travelled from all over the UK to take part - and most will return next month for the world famous
Annual Festival of Bowls.
You may also want to watch:
The winners of this weekend's triples tournament will take home the Linda Moore Memorial Cup, named in honour of the much-missed owner of Prince's Tearooms on the seafront
A raffle being held all weekend is raising money for the James Paget University Hospital renal unit, in memory of Linda who died in November last year.
- 1 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
- 2 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 3 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 4 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 5 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 6 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 7 Former Norwich City coach moves on again - after just three months
- 8 'Fantastic to have people back' - Tea room reopens on Broads
- 9 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 10 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
Tournament manager Mr Webster hopes the Open Triples will become another calender event, saying: 'If it does take off that will be another feather in Great Yarmouth's cap, bringing in scores of visitors who will collectively plough thousands of pounds into the local economy during their stay.'
The Great Yarmouth Festival of Bowls, the largest outdoors bowls event in the country, takes place at the Britannia Bowling Greens, from August 25 to, September 12. More than 1,800 participants compete in men's, ladies' and mixed teams for singles, pairs and triples titles.
Don't miss Monday's EDP for a 12-page picture special, featuring the best of Norfolk's weekend events.