Photo gallery: Meet the new 2014 Cromer Carnival queen and senior attendant
- Credit: Archant
Teenagers triumphed at one of the toughest Cromer Carnival Queen selection evenings in more than a decade.
The top title, known as Miss Cromer, was given to trainee chef Hayley Massingham, 18, and the senior attendant accolade was given to Erin Holyroyd, 17, from Aldborough, last night.
They will lead the town's annual carnival, in its 45th year, from August 16-22 and will be supported by two junior attendants and a prince and princess, who are yet to be selected.
The selection evening was held at the Cliftonville Hotel, Cromer, and saw 10 entrants vying for the title.
Miss Massingham said 'I'm shocked, I really didn't expect it and it's absolutely brilliant.'
You may also want to watch:
Senior attendant Erin, who was the carnival's junior attendant in 2011, said: 'It's amazing and I'm really looking forward to it.'
As well as being involved in the carnival events, Miss Cromer, the senior attendant and younger 'royals' will visit older people in the community during carnival week.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
Organiser Michelle Hedge said: 'We are thrilled to welcome Hayley and Erin to the carnival team, there was a great atmosphere tonight, all the girls were lovely and the venue was brilliant.'
Hayley will be crowned Miss Cromer at a ceremony on Sunday August 17.
Carnival chairman Tony Shipp said: 'I'm sure Hayley and Erin will do an excellent job for the carnival.'
The competition was sponsored by Icarus Hines Butchers and Woodrows Chartered Surveyors and the entrants were judged by Jonathan Hodgetts from Woodrows, Icarus Hines, Belinda Cammell from the Cliftonville, Louise Hale from Just beauty and Steve Downes from the North Norfolk News and EDP.
Judges Icarus Hines, who has been on the panel for more than 10 years, said: 'It has been one of the hardest competitions I have had to be a judge for.'
A selection night for the two junior attendants, who must be girls, will be on Friday May 2 at 7pm at the Cottage, Louden Road, Cromer. Entrants can turn up on the night and must be aged 12-16 years.
The prince and princess competition will happen on Sunday May 4 at 3pm at the Community Hall in Cromer. Entrants must be aged 7 – 11 years.
Entrants must be from Cromer, or the surrounding villages and parishes of Aldborough, Aylmerton, East and West Runton, Felbrigg, Hanworth, Northrepps, Overstrand, Roughton, Sidestrand, Suffield Park, Sustead, Thorpe Market and Trimingham.