Petition slams a move to shut Diss Post Office
- Credit: Archant � 2009
Plans to shut a busy post office in the market town of Diss have sparked an online petition.
Tracy Scoggins, the Lib Dem candidate for a seat on Norfolk County Council for Diss and Roydon, has launched the petition in an attempt to block the planned closure, which was announced last week.
On the petition, Ms Scoggins said: 'The Liberal Democrats believe our local post office provides an important service to our community.
'Diss is a busy post office and the quality and level of service provided by a retail partner will not match what we have today.
'Join the Liberal Democrat County Council candidate for Diss and Roydon to help save our post office.'
Under the scheme, postal services could be moved to a counter inside the town's branch of WH Smith.
Speaking after last week's announcement, Graham Minshull, Diss Town Council leader, said the potential closure of the post office was 'a blow to the town'.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 4 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 5 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 6 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 9 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 10 World War Two aircraft to fly over Norfolk's skies
'I am shocked and stunned,' he said. 'It is completely out of the blue and we did not know anything about it.
'Obviously it is a major blow for the town if it did close.'
The petition can be found at southnorfolklibdems.org.uk