Petition slams a move to shut Diss Post Office
- Credit: Archant � 2009
Plans to shut a busy post office in the market town of Diss have sparked an online petition.
Tracy Scoggins, the Lib Dem candidate for a seat on Norfolk County Council for Diss and Roydon, has launched the petition in an attempt to block the planned closure, which was announced last week.
On the petition, Ms Scoggins said: 'The Liberal Democrats believe our local post office provides an important service to our community.
'Diss is a busy post office and the quality and level of service provided by a retail partner will not match what we have today.
'Join the Liberal Democrat County Council candidate for Diss and Roydon to help save our post office.'
You may also want to watch:
Under the scheme, postal services could be moved to a counter inside the town's branch of WH Smith.
Speaking after last week's announcement, Graham Minshull, Diss Town Council leader, said the potential closure of the post office was 'a blow to the town'.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
'I am shocked and stunned,' he said. 'It is completely out of the blue and we did not know anything about it.
'Obviously it is a major blow for the town if it did close.'
The petition can be found at southnorfolklibdems.org.uk