Petition pushes for action over inaccessible railway station platform
- Credit: Archant
It is a historic railway station regarded by some as among Norfolk's most beautiful.
But wheelchair users, parents with pushchairs and others have suffered years of frustration that its Cambridge-bound platform is inaccessible - the only way onto it is up one flight of stairs and down another.
And now almost 500 people have signed a petition to build support for action to finally be taken at Wymondham Railway Station.
Neil Seach, chair of Wymondham Access Group, said: 'People with wheelchairs like myself cannot use platform two meaning we have to travel either to Norwich and change or to Attleborough and change or taxi back home.
'This makes journeys more difficult to plan and often results in having to leave much earlier to ensure changes can be made and assistance available at a number of stations.
You may also want to watch:
'We have also received messages from parents who struggle to get children, pushchairs and shopping across the bridges so choose not to use the station, we have had holiday makers report that they struggle with suitcases and therefore choose to either drive or coach to airports and those with less severe disabilities or mobility issues find the crossing exhausting.'
Mr Seach said the matter was even discussed as part of a Norfolk County Council strategic plan in 2012.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 7 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 8 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 9 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
- 10 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
But they were no closer to arriving at a solution.
A Greater Anglia spokesperson said: 'Unfortunately, there is no step-free access to the Cambridge-bound platform at Wymondham station. Cambridge-bound passengers are able to travel via Norwich station free of charge, or we will supply a taxi to the nearest station with step-free access, so passengers are able to complete their journeys.
'We apologise to passengers that there is currently no simpler alternative.
'We are working with Network Rail and other stakeholders to try and find a way forward. The two key complications are that there is an operational track behind the Cambridge-bound platform and the remainder of the adjacent land is not owned by either Network Rail or Greater Anglia.'
The petition is online at www.change.org/p/abellio-east-anglia-make-wymondham-train-station-accessible-to-all