Person hit by train on route between Norwich and London Liverpool Street
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A person has died after they were hit by a train on the route between Norwich and London Liverpool Street.
They died after they were hit by a train at Colchester last night, despite the efforts of paramedics to save them.
It happened on the railway track around 8.30pm and the victim was still alive after the collision.
Emergency services were immediately called, but the person is understood to have later died at the scene.
All lines passing through Colchester station were blocked, causing long delays for passengers.
You may also want to watch:
This affected all journeys on the Great Eastern Main Line, which runs from London Liverpool Street to Norwich.
Disruption continued well into the evening. No further details about the victim have been released at this stage.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 8 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
The East of England Ambulance Service sent an ambulance crew and two response cars, and a response car from Essex and Herts Air Ambulance Service also went to the scene.
Greater Anglia apologised for the delays.