Person hit by train on route between Norwich and London Liverpool Street
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A person has died after they were hit by a train on the route between Norwich and London Liverpool Street.
They died after they were hit by a train at Colchester last night, despite the efforts of paramedics to save them.
It happened on the railway track around 8.30pm and the victim was still alive after the collision.
Emergency services were immediately called, but the person is understood to have later died at the scene.
All lines passing through Colchester station were blocked, causing long delays for passengers.
You may also want to watch:
This affected all journeys on the Great Eastern Main Line, which runs from London Liverpool Street to Norwich.
Disruption continued well into the evening. No further details about the victim have been released at this stage.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 4 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 5 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 9 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
The East of England Ambulance Service sent an ambulance crew and two response cars, and a response car from Essex and Herts Air Ambulance Service also went to the scene.
Greater Anglia apologised for the delays.