Person dies after serious crash on the A47 at Scarning
- Credit: Archant
Police have confirmed a person died in a serious collision on the A47 near Dereham.
It happened at the junction of Grange Road and Manor Road, at Scarning, at around 3pm on Friday.
A lorry and a car were involved in the serious collision and two ambulances, a rapid response vehicle and an air ambulance rushed to the scene.
One patient was discharged, but Norfolk Constabulary confirmed on Saturday one person - the driver of the car - died at the scene.
A police spokesman said investigations are ongoing today into the cause of the crash.
You may also want to watch:
Police have not confirmed the identity of the victim at this stage.
The road was closed and diversions were put in place while emergency services dealt with the incident.
- 1 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 Town left at standstill after level crossing failure
- 5 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 6 Brothers take wedding bookings for 2022 after finishing barn project
- 7 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 8 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 9 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 10 Seven lockdown rules that could change
It reopened around 8.30pm on Friday.
Fire crews from Dereham, Carrow and Swaffham also attended, where they made the scene safe.
Although the specific causes of the crash are not yet known, this section of the A47 is known as an accident blackspot.
Last year, Dereham Town Council led calls for improvements to the A47 near Scarning after the death of a young motorcyclist from the Swaffham area who died after crashing with a lorry.
Dereham mayor Phillip Duigan said: 'We have had a number of accidents on that stretch of road, with some serious crashes.
'We don't know yet what happened in this incident, but in general terms it can be difficult to judge the speed of the traffic coming out of the narrow junctions along there.
'We had someone from Highways England attend one of our meetings last year to listen to our concerns about that stretch of the A47.
'We also raised the issue of how bad the condition of the road is in that area.
'Dualling the road would help but unfortunately this part of the road is not in the plans.'
Town councillor Linda Goreham said: 'It is a very dangerous stretch of road and there have been several crashes along there.
'Those junctions are hidden and people can drive very quickly on the A47.
'There ought to be more signage and I believe there should be some traffic calming measures along there as well.'
Police are keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the collision. Anyone with information should contact the Serious Collision Investigation Team on 101.
Would you like to pay tribute to the crash victim? E mail email@example.com