Person dies after serious crash on the A47 at Scarning
- Credit: Archant
Police have confirmed a person died in a serious collision on the A47 near Dereham.
It happened at the junction of Grange Road and Manor Road, at Scarning, at around 3pm on Friday.
A lorry and a car were involved in the serious collision and two ambulances, a rapid response vehicle and an air ambulance rushed to the scene.
One patient was discharged, but Norfolk Constabulary confirmed on Saturday one person - the driver of the car - died at the scene.
A police spokesman said investigations are ongoing today into the cause of the crash.
You may also want to watch:
Police have not confirmed the identity of the victim at this stage.
The road was closed and diversions were put in place while emergency services dealt with the incident.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
It reopened around 8.30pm on Friday.
Fire crews from Dereham, Carrow and Swaffham also attended, where they made the scene safe.
Although the specific causes of the crash are not yet known, this section of the A47 is known as an accident blackspot.
Last year, Dereham Town Council led calls for improvements to the A47 near Scarning after the death of a young motorcyclist from the Swaffham area who died after crashing with a lorry.
Dereham mayor Phillip Duigan said: 'We have had a number of accidents on that stretch of road, with some serious crashes.
'We don't know yet what happened in this incident, but in general terms it can be difficult to judge the speed of the traffic coming out of the narrow junctions along there.
'We had someone from Highways England attend one of our meetings last year to listen to our concerns about that stretch of the A47.
'We also raised the issue of how bad the condition of the road is in that area.
'Dualling the road would help but unfortunately this part of the road is not in the plans.'
Town councillor Linda Goreham said: 'It is a very dangerous stretch of road and there have been several crashes along there.
'Those junctions are hidden and people can drive very quickly on the A47.
'There ought to be more signage and I believe there should be some traffic calming measures along there as well.'
Police are keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the collision. Anyone with information should contact the Serious Collision Investigation Team on 101.
Would you like to pay tribute to the crash victim? E mail firstname.lastname@example.org