A140 closed after pedestrian suffers serious injuries in crash
- Credit: Archant
A pedestrian has been left with serious injuries after being hit by a car in an accident that closed the A140 for more than four hours.
Emergency services were called at 11.40am on Thursday, September 19 to reports of an accident involving a car and a pedestrian between Long Stratton and the hamlet of Stratton St Michael.
Paramedics and the East Anglian Air Ambulance were called to the scene of the collision in which the male pedestrian had sustained serious arm and leg injuries.
An eyewitness who drove past the scene shortly after the collision said: "I was coming towards Long Stratton and there was a man lying in the road.
"He had clearly been hit by a car and people were helping. The driver of the car involved was also helping and other drivers had stopped before the police and then the air ambulance arrived.
You may also want to watch:
"He appeared to be quite an elderly man. It was quite a shocking thing to see as he was clearly injured."
The accident occurred to the north of Long Stratton on the busy Norwich to Ipswich road, just as it becomes a 30mph limit.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 5 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 6 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 7 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 8 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 9 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 10 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
The A140 was closed to traffic in both directions from the new Hempnall roundabout to Swan Lane in the centre of Long Stratton. Long tailbacks of stationary traffic built up in the area and motorists were advised to seek alternative routes.
The traffic delays were made worse when a second accident occurred south of Long Stratton between a lorry and a van that ended in a ditch.
The A140 closure led to major delays to bus services.
A spokesman for First said: "Due to the closure of the A140, our Purple Line 38/38A bus services are currently terminating at Newton Flotman until the road reopens.
"The 935 school bus from Long Stratton High School to Swainsthorpe will not be able to operate at the usual time and we are in discussions with Norfolk County Council transport officers as to how best we can get the students home.
"We understand that the A140 will hopefully reopen between 4pm and 5pm and buses will be able to reach Long Stratton and Harleston after that."
- Keep up to date with all the latest travel news via our live traffic map