Pedal-powered politicians unite for tandem tour of Thetford, Attleborough, Watton, Swaffham and Dereham on May Bank Holiday
Breckland Council's top politicians will be more united than ever when they work in tandem to complete a charity bike tour of the district's market towns.
Leader William Nunn and chairman Nigel Wilkin's bank holiday challenge will start Thetford at 8am, and take them through Attleborough, Watton and Swaffham, before they arrive in Dereham in late afternoon.
The peddle-powered pair will be welcomed by official mayoral parties in each town as they raise money for East Anglia's Children's Hospices (Each) facility in Quidenham.
Mr Wilkins will be hoping for more success in the actual event, on Saturday May 5, than in training after he fell off his bike a month before race day.
He said: 'I've brushed the cobwebs off the exercise bike and have been clocking up at least five miles a day. I've had a fantastic year as Breckland chairman; it's been a privilege and I have met some truly inspiring people.
'This will be my last fund-raising event as chairman and I am really pleased that the town mayors and deputies are coming out to support us in raising funds for Each'.
Mr Nunn, who will lead from the front, said: 'This is the first time I've seen Nigel volunteer to take a back seat in anything, but I'm going to make sure he works as hard as I do. It's a privilege to support this deserving local charity. By supporting Nigel and I you will be supporting local children and their families at a very difficult time.'
- 1 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 5 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 6 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 9 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 10 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
Donations can be made at justgiving.com/Nigel-Wilkin. For more information about the cycle ride or how to donate, contact the chairman's secretary Sue Allen on 01362 656870.