Pedal-powered politicians’ tour of Thetford, Attleborough, Watton, Swaffham and Dereham raises money for children’s hospitals
Two of Breckland's leading politicians raised more than �700 for charity when they completed a tandem bike ride around the district's market towns.
Council chairman Nigel Wilkin and leader William Nunn completed the trip in aid of East Anglia's Children's Hospitals (Each) over the May bank holiday weekend.
Thetford mayor Derek Mortimer waved the pedal-powered pair off at 8am, and the mayors of Attleborough, Watton, Swaffham and Dereham organised welcoming parties as they rode through.
Swaffham was particularly prepared for, or pessimistic about, the duo's prospects, with a nurse, matron and stretcher on hand, all dressed in 1950s uniforms to promote the town's Within Living Memory exhibition.
Nigel Wilkin said: 'My strongest memory will be how cold it was, and how it rallied our spirits to be welcomed and cheered on at every town. My special thanks go to Richelle for organising the cake bake which raised almost �100, to the town mayors for organising the welcoming parties, and to everyone else who supported us with cash and with encouraging words.'
William Nunn said: 'The weather wasn't great but the warm welcome we received at each town more than made up for that. Luckily we just happened to be near The Nelson pub when we reached Bradenham and the skies opened. The day was hard work for both of us, but definitely worth every ache and pain to help this great local charity.'
Donations can be made at www.justgiving.com/Nigel-Wilkin, or by contacting the chairman's secretary Sue Allen on 01362 656870. For information about Each, call 01953 715559 or visit www.each.org.uk
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 6 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 7 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 8 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 9 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 10 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise