Paul Stranks jailed for six years for attempting to rape woman in Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Norfolk Police
A 22-year-old man has been jailed today after being convicted of attempting to rape a woman in Great Yarmouth.
Paul Stranks of no fixed abode appeared at Norwich Crown Court after pleading guilty on September 12.
The offence took place on Temple Road in Great Yarmouth on Sunday March 27 2016 where the female victim had been attacked by Stranks. She managed to scream before two nearby members of the public dragged him off of her and he fled the scene.
A subsequent search of the local area resulted in the apprehension of Stranks where he was arrested and taken to custody.
Also included in this indictment is an offence of, 'absconding from lawful custody'. Stranks was unlawfully at large for almost 10 hours in June after absconding from Hellesdon Hospital before being located and arrested in London.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Constable Nick Fish said: 'I hope the victim is pleased with today's result. She has shown great bravery in coming forward after a frightening ordeal and it has resulted in the offender being brought to justice.
'I would also like to commend the people who came to the aid of the victim and helped with the investigation. Without their assistance we may not have had such a positive result.'
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 4 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 5 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 6 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 7 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 8 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 9 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 10 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
In addition to his sentence of six years and four month - six years for attempted rape and four months for absconding from lawful custody - Stranks was also placed on the Sex Offenders' Register for life.