Part of Southwold promenade closed for safety reasons after concrete exposed
- Credit: Durrants Holiday Lettings
Part of the promenade in Southwold closed off due to safety reasons.
Significant amounts of sand and shingle from the beach just south of Southwold Pier have been swept away leading to a concrete apron beneath the promenade becoming exposed.
Waveney District Council has closed part of the promenade as it could be a danger to the public because anyone falling off the edge of would land directly on to concrete.
A council spokesman said: 'In the interests of safety, a short length of the promenade will be closed from today while investigations take place to see if emergency work is needed to rebuild the beach beneath this area of the promenade.
'It is hoped the beach may recover naturally.
You may also want to watch:
'It is hoped that limited access to the promenade in this area should be allowed within the week.
'Waveney District Council apologises for any inconvenience created by this temporary closure, but this is essential work being carried out to ensure public safety.'
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 7 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 8 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk