Parks in King’s Lynn and Hunstanton among Britain’s best
- Credit: Ian Burt
Five West Norfolk parks are among the best in Britain.
The Walks, Tower Gardens and Mintlyn Crematorium in King's Lynn and Esplanade Gardens and Boston Square Gardens in Hunstanton have been recognised by the Green Flag Award Scheme.
They are among a record-breaking 1,797 UK parks and green spaces that have received a prestigious Green Flag Award/Green Flag Community Award – the mark of a quality park or green space.
The award, now into its third decade, is a sign to the public that the space boasts the highest possible environmental standards, is beautifully maintained, and has excellent visitor facilities.
Elizabeth Nockolds, deputy leader and cabinet member for culture, heritage and health at West Norfolk council, said: 'We are absolutely delighted to receive five Green Flag Awards this year.
'It is testimony to the hard work our grounds maintenance staff put in all year round and to the additional support we get from volunteers who look after some of the beds.
'We know how much quality green spaces matter to residents and visitors, and we take pride in achieving these standards. We have had so many positive comments about the gardens this year, which in itself is very rewarding. The Green Flags are really the icing on the cake.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 3 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 4 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 5 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 6 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 7 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk hotel set to launch five romantic orchard cabins next year
- 9 Tributes paid to much-loved family man who died in A143 crash
- 10 Road closed for 'emergency' repairs to Victorian footbridge
International Green Flag Award scheme manager Paul Todd said: 'We are delighted to be celebrating another record-breaking year for the Green Flag Award scheme.
'Each flag is a celebration of the thousands of staff and volunteers who work tirelessly to maintain the high standards demanded by the Green Flag Award. The success of the scheme, especially in these challenging times, demonstrates just how much parks matter to people.'