Parents learn vital life-saving tips at Lowestoft first aid classes
- Credit: Archant
Parents learned vital skills that could save the lives of their children during free first aid classes organised by East Coast Community Healthcare (ECCH)
The classes, held at Village Rise Children's Centre in Blyford Road and Kirkley Children's Centre in Kirkley Street, aimed to show mums and dads what to do if a baby or young child is choking and how to recognise the signs when a baby stops breathing. The group also learned infant resuscitation techniques.
Donna Tuttle, a mum from Rushton Drive in Lowestoft, attended the Kirkley session. She said: 'I think it's great that ECCH has put on these sessions as it's a really important skill to learn. I don't want to get into a panic if something goes wrong. I just want to know exactly what to do.'
The classes were organized by ECCH health visitor Paula Watson after a number of new mums told her they would like more information about infant life support. Each class was open to a dozen parents and was fully subscribed.
ECCH trainer Simon Drewett said: 'I feel passionate about making sure that as many parents as possible know what to do if their baby stops breathing or is choking because no parent wants to feel helpless in those crucial moments while they wait for an ambulance to arrive. I've seen first hand how being able to apply basic life support techniques can avert a tragedy.'
You may also want to watch:
Last year ECCH held similar sessions at Martham Health Centre and, owing to their popularity, more are now being planned.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage