Starbucks start charging 5p for paper cups
- Credit: PA
As of yesterday any drink purchased in a paper cup from the famous coffee chain will come with an additional 5p charge.
The new fee applies to all 950 UK stores, including those on St Stephens Street and Haymarket in Norwich as well as the Castle Mall.
The national roll-out comes after the charge was introduced on a trial basis in 35 London stores. Starbucks say that the three-month trial increased the number of customers who bought reusable cups into the store and reduced waste.
Starbucks has also announced it will eliminate single-use plastic straws globally by 2020. A new strawless lid will become the standard lid for all iced coffee, tea and espresso drinks, and is already available in 150 European stores, including those in the UK.
Proceeds from the 5p paper cup charge will go to the environmental charity Hubbub for projects to reduce UK plastic pollution.
Customers using reusable cups will continue to receive a 25p discount.
- 1 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 2 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 3 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 4 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 5 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 6 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 7 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 8 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 9 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 10 Inquest into death of much-loved healthcare assistant