Pantomime funds raised for East Coast Truckers and Throwing Stars charities by Ashwren Players
Two charities have benefited from the pantomime fun and frolics of local amateur dramatic group the Ashwren Players.
Ashwren, formed from residents of Ashwellthorpe, Wreningham and Mulbarton, performed their annual pantomime in February.
This year's show was Treasure Island, written and directed by local businessman and South Norfolk councillor Bob McClenning.
Takings raised from raffles held at each performance raised �250, which was matched by takings from ticket sales.
The money has gone towards the East Coast Truckers and Star Throwers charities and was presented at a recent party held by the Ashwren Players.
Val Keel, Ashwren's chairman, paid tribute to the hard work of the East Coast Truckers in arranging their events for children with special needs, recalling similar issues when organising air flights for adults and children with special needs funded by the Peter Keel Memorial Fund.
This was set up following the death of Val's husband in a flying accident 20 years ago, who was then marketing director for Eastern Counties Newspapers.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 3 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 4 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 5 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 6 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 7 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
- 8 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
- 9 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
Val said: 'Whilst there is a lot of hard work involved, the rewards are great and all volunteer pilots took so much pleasure from seeing the excitement generated in their passengers.'
Anthony Perry, of Star Throwers, also explained how the charity, staffed by volunteers and based in Wymondham, provides counselling, emotional support, therapies and advice to support for cancer battlers.