Pair describe how they entered a burning home in Belton to rescue a trapped cocker spaniel

The house in Rosedale Gardens, the scene of a fierce blaze on Tuesday evening.

The house in Rosedale Gardens, the scene of a fierce blaze on Tuesday evening. - Credit: Archant

The friend of a man whose house caught fire in Belton has described their desperate attempts to rescue a trapped dog.

Rosedale Gardens in Belton where emergency crews rushed to the scene of house fire on Tuesday evenin

Rosedale Gardens in Belton where emergency crews rushed to the scene of house fire on Tuesday evening. - Credit: Archant

James Emmerson and the pet's owner bravely entered the burning home on Rosedale Gardens yesterday evening to save the animal.

It had become trapped on the upstairs landing as 'six-foot-high flames' engulfed the lounge of the property.

Mr Emmerson, 26, said he smashed almost every window of the house to let out the smoke before the pair entered.

The cocker spaniel's owner, Martin Chapman - who also owns the property - then desperately searched for the animal inside.


You may also want to watch:


'The smoke was that thick, that when my mate went in, I had to grab his T-shirt to make sure I didn't lose him,' Mr Emmerson said.

'Me and my mate kicked the door through, and smashed every window through because the dog was in there.'

Most Read

Mr Chapman, who was covered 'head to toe' in soot, eventually found Ruby the dog on the upstairs landing and brought it down.

The animal had to be taken to the vets for treatment, while those who came to help were given oxygen.

It is understood that the animal has recovered from the ordeal.

Emergency services were called to the scene in Belton, near Great Yarmouth, shortly after 5.30pm yesterday.

Firefighters from Gorleston and Great Yarmouth attended and spent around 50 minutes putting out the blaze.

Mr Emmerson believed the fire started in the lounge of the house while Mr Chapman and himself were clearing out a nearby garage.

'We had left the house for a maximum of three minutes,' he said. 'We were sorting out the garage and my girlfriend joined us for a cigarette.

'She went back for a cup of tea and then shouts that there was a fire inside.

'We were gobsmacked because nothing was left on. We think it must have been the electrics. I have never seen a fire go up that quickly.'

• Do you have pictures of the fire? Email luke.powell@archant.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter