Overnight works to close Bascule Bridge
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Motorists are being warned that they could face overnight disruption in the coming months.
Highways England is expected to carry out four nights of maintenance works to the A47 Bascule Bridge in Lowestoft.
Highways chiefs plan to carry out the overnight works in April, June, August and November – with drivers likely to face delays as traffic is diverted.
With Highways England submitting an order to temporarily close the bridge, prohibiting traffic and pedestrians on the A47 trunk road, the town's three-lane bridge would be closed overnight 'to enable routine maintenance works and testing to the mechanical equipment on the Bascule Bridge.'
The bridge would be closed in both directions with a diversion in operation.
You may also want to watch:
The Highways England public notice states: 'The effect of the Order would be to close the A47 Bascule Bridge to all traffic and pedestrians.
'The routine maintenance works are expected to take place over four nights (8pm to 6am) on Thursday, April 4; Monday, June 10; Monday, August 19 and Monday, November 18.'
Keep up to date with the latest delays by viewing our Live Traffic Map.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler