Out of the frying pan and into the fire: Beachwood chef to take on 100 mile trek
- Credit: Alzheimer's Society.
A Norfolk chef is set to take on a 100 mile bike ride as part of Prudential's RideLondon.
Steve Norgate, 42, lives in North Walsham and works as Head Chef at the Beechwood Hotel and has been fitting in training around his 50 hour working weeks.
He is riding on behalf of Alzheimer's Society as his mother-in-law received a dementia diagnosis last year, and the family have since attempted to support her as best as they can.
The route on July 30 will take Mr Norgate out of London, before venturing into the Surrey countryside.
Claire Norgate, Steve's wife said: 'On May 3, 2016, aged 71, my lovely Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. We knew she had not been well for a while but getting the diagnosis was still a big shock. She was about to be a Nana for the first time and my sister gave birth 2 days later.
You may also want to watch:
'The last year has been really hard and we have seen our Mum change into someone who does not know who her grandson is and struggles to identify some family members in relation to her.'
Mr Norgate said: 'Fitting in training around a responsible and busy role is not always easy especially given the time of year. I am really looking forward to testing myself on the inclines on the ride in particular Box Hill (5% climb) and Leith Hill (7% climb).'
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'
Steve aims to raise £600 for Alzheimer's and has a Justgiving page: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/steve-norgate.