Out of the frying pan and into the fire: Beachwood chef to take on 100 mile trek
- Credit: Alzheimer's Society.
A Norfolk chef is set to take on a 100 mile bike ride as part of Prudential's RideLondon.
Steve Norgate, 42, lives in North Walsham and works as Head Chef at the Beechwood Hotel and has been fitting in training around his 50 hour working weeks.
He is riding on behalf of Alzheimer's Society as his mother-in-law received a dementia diagnosis last year, and the family have since attempted to support her as best as they can.
The route on July 30 will take Mr Norgate out of London, before venturing into the Surrey countryside.
Claire Norgate, Steve's wife said: 'On May 3, 2016, aged 71, my lovely Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. We knew she had not been well for a while but getting the diagnosis was still a big shock. She was about to be a Nana for the first time and my sister gave birth 2 days later.
You may also want to watch:
'The last year has been really hard and we have seen our Mum change into someone who does not know who her grandson is and struggles to identify some family members in relation to her.'
Mr Norgate said: 'Fitting in training around a responsible and busy role is not always easy especially given the time of year. I am really looking forward to testing myself on the inclines on the ride in particular Box Hill (5% climb) and Leith Hill (7% climb).'
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 6 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
Steve aims to raise £600 for Alzheimer's and has a Justgiving page: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/steve-norgate.