Oulton Broad cyclist’s latest ride is a personal crusade
- Credit: Archant
He has already cycled the length of Britain seven times for charity.
But one Oulton Broad man is saddling up for another bike ride – as he embarks on a new and much more personal crusade.
Mike Rainton is well known locally having completed the fully supported Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG) ride – cycling the 874-mile distance in six days – meaning he had overcome the classic 'end-to-end' ride seven times in as many years.
The retired Lowestoft College lecturer is now preparing for another cycling challenge next month (July).
Mr Rainton and a team of five other family members and friends will be taking part in the Blackpool to Manchester 60-mile ride on July 10 to support The Christie – a specialist cancer hospital in Manchester – for the care given to Mike's grandson Robby.
Mr Rainton said: 'In 2014 my grandson Robby, aged 18, was diagnosed with cancer, something which came as a huge shock and worry for us all. 'Fortunately, Robby has received wonderful support and care from The Christie, which has resulted in his treatment progressing well. My son Stephen wanted to give something back.'
The team of six will include Mr Rainton's son Stephen, daughter Alison and three of Stephen's friends.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 4 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 7 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 8 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 9 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 10 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
Mr Rainton said: 'Through Virgin Money Giving you can sponsor us and donations will be quickly processed and passed to The Christie. We really appreciate your support and thank you for the donations.'
? Visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/RidingforRobby to pledge support.