Ormesby puppy nearly dies after swallowing two fish hooks on Scratby beach

An urgent plea has been issued over discarded fish hooks after a puppy swallowed two of them and nearly died.

Debbie Heuer, of Ormesby, near Great Yarmouth, was walking her border collie puppy Deefa on Scratby beach when she noticed something was wrong and noticed a length of fishing line hanging from her dog's mouth.

The drama unfolded during the 10-week old puppy's first excursion in the great outdoors.

Deefa was immediately taken to the Haven Veterinary Surgery in Great Yarmouth before an emergency referral to specialists at Dick White Referrals in Six Mile Bottom, near Newmarket.

Vets successfully removed the hooks using videoendoscopes, long-jawed 'foreign body retrieval' forceps and rigid retrieval forceps. Ms Heuer said: 'I know most anglers are very responsible and this isn't a common occurrence. But everybody who uses the beach needs to consider the consequences of their actions.'


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus