Ormesby St Margaret church funds celebrations
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A gift day in aid of a village church has done just grand - twice over.
Some £2000 was donated in Ormesby St Margaret towards the village church, with more money coming in.
The cash boost is needed now more than ever according to chairman of the friends' group and church treasurer Geoff Freeman.
A five year inspection had just revealed that the tower needed an overhaul likely to cost some £500,000.
He said: 'Although the church is in good condition we have been warned for about 15 years that we would need to refurbish the tower, parapet, and put a new roof on it. And the whole thing needs re-pointing.'
Lottery and other funders looked set to pay around 90pc of the cost but the community needed to show it was doing its bit too, he added.
Work is expected to take place in 2020 and take two years.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 3 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 6 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway
- 7 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 10 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
The church is over 800 years old. Donations welcome at the rectory in Church View.