Ormesby St Margaret church funds celebrations
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A gift day in aid of a village church has done just grand - twice over.
Some £2000 was donated in Ormesby St Margaret towards the village church, with more money coming in.
The cash boost is needed now more than ever according to chairman of the friends' group and church treasurer Geoff Freeman.
A five year inspection had just revealed that the tower needed an overhaul likely to cost some £500,000.
He said: 'Although the church is in good condition we have been warned for about 15 years that we would need to refurbish the tower, parapet, and put a new roof on it. And the whole thing needs re-pointing.'
You may also want to watch:
Lottery and other funders looked set to pay around 90pc of the cost but the community needed to show it was doing its bit too, he added.
Work is expected to take place in 2020 and take two years.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 7 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 8 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 9 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
- 10 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
The church is over 800 years old. Donations welcome at the rectory in Church View.