Orlando shooting: Vigils to be held in Norwich after 50 people killed and 53 injured in gay nightclub
- Credit: AP
Vigils will be held in Norwich today after a gunman murdered 50 people in a gay nightclub in Orlando on Sunday.
Norwich Pride is holding a 'Vigil Against Hate' at City Hall on Monday evening from 7pm, following America's worst mass shooting.
Organisers said everyone was welcome to attend the 'peaceful vigil to show solidarity for this brutal attack against the LGBT+ community'.
Norwich Pride's Facebook page, says: 'Bring any rainbow items you may have - flags, umbrellas, hats etc. Candles welcome. Let's show the city and the world that #loveislove.'
Another vigil will take place today at The Square, at the University of East Anglia, in memory of the people that lost their lives.
You may also want to watch:
At 3pm people will gather to light candles and wave rainbow flags.
The vigil has been organised by the LGBT+ Society.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 5 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 10 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
The flags outside Norwich City Hall are at half-mast. The building will be lit in rainbow colours from dusk, joining many other iconic buildings across the world, that will be illuminated.
On Sunday June 12, killer Omar Mateen, a security guard of Afghan descent, killed 50 people and injured 53 others in the worst mass shooting in the recent history of the United States.
He shot around a third of the 300 people in the Pulse nightclub using an AR-15 assault rifle before he was killed in a shoot-out with armed officers.
The 29-year-old had been on the FBI's radar since 2013, but was able to legally buy a handgun and a semi-automatic assault rifle which he used to carry out the massacre.
The Islamic State's radio channel on Monday called the Orlando mass killer 'one of the soldiers of the caliphate in America'.
Al-Bayan Radio, a media outlet for the IS extremist group, hailed the attack that left 50 people dead, saying it targeted a gathering of Christians and gays and that it is the worst attack on US soil since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.