Open day is Network Rail’s way of saying a huge thank you for putting up with disturbance
NETWORK Rail will throw open the doors of its Whitemoor recycling centre on Sunday to thank the March public for their support over the past nine years.
The opening of the National Track Materials Recycling Centre (NTMRC) in June marked the second phase in the redevelopment of the Whitemoor Yard depot following the completion of phase one in 2004.
Dave Millar, Network Rail project manager for the Whitemoor Yard depot, said: 'March has always been a railway town and in the nine years that I've worked at Whitemoor, I've been amazed and impressed by the level of support we've had from the local community.
'The new national recycling centre has put March at the heart of our efforts to make the railway greener, cleaner and more sustainable. I'd urge anyone with an interest in March's history – and its future – to come along to Whitemoor to find out more about what we do.'
The 98-acre site of the former derelict railway land at Whitemoor Yard opened for business in June, bringing 25 new jobs to the area. And that was on top of the 40 extra jobs created by phase one.
You may also want to watch:
The depot is set to deliver �7million of savings to Network Rail each year. It will also help the firm achieve its goal to re-use, recycle, or recover 95 per cent of construction and maintenance waste by 2014.
The free open day will include railway history exhibitions, engineering trains and face-painting and rides for children.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 9 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 10 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash