Online boost for Wymondham and Holt
Businesses in Wymondham and Holt are among the fastest growing in the country as a result of increased internet use according to internet search giant Google.
Google has identified the two towns as among 20 areas whose businesses had grown significantly in the past year with.
Through its online advertising service, Google assessed the strength of online commercial activity in rural areas across the UK with populations of 13 000 and less and has named the towns in its list of rural digital trailblazers.
It then ranked them in terms of the percentage increase in local enterprises using AdWords over the last year noting that Wymondham has seen 'extraordinary growth' indicating that its online entrepreneurs are boosting growth across the area.
It said Wymondham's internet commercial activity had grown by 25pc in the past year, while Holt had seen growth of 20pc.
Dan Cobley, Managing Director of Google UK, said: 'Wymondham may be considered small in size, but has proven itself to be a formidable entrepreneurial centre as seen by its exceptional growth in online business.'
Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman, said the findings proved why securing comprehensive broadband access was vital for businesses.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 3 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 4 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 5 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 6 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 7 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 8 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 9 Jailed in Norfolk: Flytippers and paedophiles
- 10 Restaurant owner 'excited' as Norwich street is permanently pedestrianised
'This research just shows that even in these difficult economic times, entrepreneurs in rural Norfolk can start up successful businesses using the internet to access national and international markets without having to travel,' he said.