Worker flown to hospital after ‘explosion’ at fireproofing factory
- Credit: Archant
A man has been flown to hospital after an explosion at a business specialising in fireproofing.
A man in his 50s has been flown to hospital after an explosion at a business specialising in fireproofing.
Emergency services were called to reports of an explosion at Fabric Flare, on Gosford Road in Beccles, at around 9.40am on Tuesday, September 24.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance were also called, with one injured man flown to hospital.
The business, alongside neighbours Beccles Tile and Bathroom Centre and Beccles Carpet and Rug Centre, was cleared, with workers returning inside shortly after 11.30am.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Curtis, a worker at the centre, said: "I don't know what happened. I came through from doing my work and went to speak to my manager, then heard the fire alarm going.
"I thought it was a drill but it turned out it wasn't. There was a load of smoke and fire. It was a shock really. You never expect that to happen.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 City draw up target list
"The damage to the building is contained to one room and is nothing structural, but fire and police aren't letting us in there until they're sure."
Gerry Thurston, 67, manager of Beccles Tile and Bathroom Centre, said: "Everything is okay now but we were all evacuated for about two hours.
"I was amazed by the fire service response.
"It was a gas explosion. They have all sorts of chemicals in there for fireproofing.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said: "One person has been injured, but is conscious and breathing.
"There are chemicals in the building and a gas canister, but they are not involved in the fire or near it. It is not a chemical incident, just a fire."
Police officers also attended the scene to support fire crews.
Gosford Road was closed while emergency services responded.
A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service confirmed they had been called, saying: "We were called to an incident at 9.40am in Gosford Road, Beccles.
"We sent multiple resources including our hazardous area response team (HART) and an air ambulance from the East Anglian Air Ambulance (EAAA)."
The East Anglian Air Ambulance Service said a man in his 50s suffered a medical emergency.
They added: "The patient was carried, by air, to Broomfield Hospital for further treatment."