One in five risk health with too much alcohol, report reveals
- Credit: EDP pics Â© 2010 (01603) 77243
Up to one in five of us are putting our health at risk by drinking too much alcohol a report has revealed.
A new campaign, launched by Suffolk's health professionals, encourages people to take a fresh look at what they drink following the report's findings.
Launched to coincide with national Alcohol Awareness Week (November 17 to 23), the campaign invites people to consider what a healthy relationship with alcohol is.
Alcohol Concern's 'alcohol harm map' shows that 20pc of Suffolk people are drinking too much, accounting for 266 deaths in 2012 and almost 114,000 hospital admissions.
Earlier this year, Suffolk's Health and Wellbeing Board unveiled a county-wide action plan, bringing together the police, NHS, voluntary organisations, local councils and alcohol industry to tackle the harmful aspects of alcohol in Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Reid, Suffolk's Alcohol Strategy Group chair, said: 'I want to be clear that we're not demonising alcohol or those who enjoy a drink. This campaign is very much in keeping with the more enlightened approach we've taken with our county-wide plan, encouraging people to think about how much is too much, and the unwanted consequences that excessive alcohol consumption can have on our society.'
More information is available at www.healthysuffolk.org.uk/home/healthy-drinking
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 3 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 4 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 5 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 6 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 7 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 8 Drunk man arrested after driving into water-filled dike
- 9 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 10 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
Do you have a story? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org