Olympic Torch at tea party for Wymondham-based cancer charity Star Throwers
An Olympic Torch made an appearance at a garden party fundraiser for a Wymondham-based cancer charity today (Sunday).
The event for Star Throwers in Melton Road was organised by Alex Symington, 29, who was diagnosed with breast cancer aged just 24.
Dozens of friends and family, as well as other people who are supported by Star Throwers, enjoyed the fundraiser at Sparham, near Dereham, which included garden games and homemade cakes.
The raffle was drawn by Mrs Symington's friend, Rachel Lane, of Wymondham, who also has breast cancer.
Miss Lane was a torchbearer in the Olympic Torch Relay through Aldeburgh, Suffolk, and brought her treasured item to the fundraiser.
Star Throwers supports people with cancer, as well as their families, and offers complimentary therapies including massage and reiki.
Mrs Symington said: 'The turn out is brilliant. I'm very happy.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 4 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 5 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 6 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 7 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 8 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 9 Toddler died after getting trapped between stair gates
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
'Star Throwers gives me hope. The NHS has been absolutely fantastic, but it is great to get the extra support and hope.'
Sharon Brown, 40, of Great Moulton, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010 was a guest at the party and is also supported by Star Throwers.
She said: 'It offers one-to-one support and you can meet people in the same situation.'
Mrs Symington hopes to raise �1,000 through a raffle, which was drawn during the party and included over 30 prizes.
For more information about Star Throwers, visit www.starthrowers.org.uk, ring 01953 423304 or email email@example.com