Olympic fun and old school games for all to enjoy at Downham Games
There will be fun for all the family at Downham Market next weekend with the town hosting an Olympic-themed event.
Organised by the town council, Active Norfolk and Ryston Runners, the Downham Games on the memorial playing field will give people the chance to try different sporting activities.
The event will run from 10.30am to 3pm on Sunday with the main attraction being a six-event athletic competition where anyone aged eight upwards can take part.
Downham Market village games sports co-ordinator Frances Rayner said: 'The day will have something for everybody and we hope that whatever your age, skill or ability, people will want to come and have a go.
'The idea is to create an Olympic atmosphere where everyone can be a winner.'
You may also want to watch:
Entry for the athletic competition costs �2 for adults and �1 for children and will see participants showing off their shot put and javelin skills as well as sprinting 100 metres.
There will be five age categories – eight to 10 years, 11 to 13, 14 to 16, 17 to 39 and 40 and over – and each category will be split into male and female groups. All entrants will receive a medal on completion and there will be a gold and silver medal in each category for overall winners.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 3 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 6 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 7 Woman who got stuck in marshes rescued by coastguards
- 8 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 9 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 10 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
There will also be free sports taster sessions throughout the day in archery, squash, tennis and croquet.
Mrs Rayner said: 'Qualified coaches will be on hand to offer advice and give people a chance to try a sport they may not have tried before or an event they love and would like to get involved in.
'No summer sporting event would be complete without some old school games for all the family to join in with, so from 1pm to 2pm we will be also having family relay races, an egg-and-spoon race, a sack race, skipping race and obstacle races. It will be a great opportunity for everyone to come together and have a bit of fun reliving their childhood.'
She added: 'This event is not only open to Downham Market residents – we would like to see people from all over West Norfolk come and join us.
'If the Downham Games is a success we would like to see it back on the town's events calendar next year to build on the Olympic legacy.'
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org