Old Buckenham Airshow to be extended in 2013
A popular air festival will return next year after organisers announced the expansion of the Old Buckenham Airshow.
Thousands of spectators descended on the former second world war airfield in June for the return of the show, which had been resurrected under new management.
The manager of the airfield announced that the 2013 show would be extended from one day to two days as part of an exciting line-up of events next year.
The Old Buckenham Airshow will be held on the weekend of June 22 and 23, which will raise funds for the Leonard Cheshire Disability home at The Grove in East Carleton.
Matt Wilkins, airfield manager, said following demand from exhibitors, there was not enough time to squeeze all of the show's attractions in one day. He added that the main displays will be held on the Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
'It seems a shame to have all these things here and we might as well make a big splash of it. We can do leisure flights on the Saturday, which we can not do on the Sunday,' he said.
The highlight of the Saturday evening will be a 1940s hangar dance and there will be a completely changed layout for next year's show, which the EDP will be a media sponsor of.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 7 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 10 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
The line-up for the airshow will be confirmed over the next few months, but Mr Wilkins hopes that a Spitfire and Mustang duo will be able to return for a spectacular display in 2013.
In addition, the former USAAF base will host the inaugural Military Revival next year.
The event on October 4, 5 and 6, is for all military enthusiasts and covers military hardware from 1900 to the present day. Old Buckenham will be turned into a vast military camp for the weekend, with a multitude of vehicles, displays and mock battles covering an array of conflicts.