Old Buckenham airfield to welcome classic car rally
- Credit: Archant
A former military air base will be roaring with the sound of engines after it was chosen to be the finishing line for a popular classic car rally.
The North Norfolk Classic Vehicle Club's St George's Drive It Day will be held on April 27.
The Drive It Day out is a traditional event, open to all classic car owners and organised by the NNCVC which has been running since 2007.
More than 200 motorists take part in the event every year, which will see drivers travel from Sheringham to Old Buckenham in aid of the East of England Air Ambulance.
In 2014, the NNCVC will be welcoming the Mazda MX5 owners' club and Smart Car Club. These two modern classics fit in with the club's new initiative, aimed at cars under 25 years of age. As a result of this ethos cars will be on display covering a century of motoring from 1909 to 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Wilkins, airfield manager, said 'The NNCVC have always been great supporters of the turnaround in fortunes at Old Buckenham, culminating in a wonderful display around the war memorial at Airshow 2013.
'We're honoured that they've chosen the airfield to be the finish line for one of their biggest events of the year. This will ensure that our Wings and Wheels event will be a great success first time around.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 4 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 5 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 6 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 7 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 8 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 9 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 10 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
Admission is £2 per person or £5 for a car load of people. The cars are expected to start arriving at 11am.
Those wishing to join the fun with their own classic car are welcome to do so and are asked to book in with the NNCVC by contacting Christine Sparrow by email firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01603 781917.
Keep in touch with all the events in your area with the Event guide every Thursday and onlne at www.edp24.co.uk/whatson