Officials had tried to remove rapist

JON WELCH Immigration officials tried to seize a failed asylum seeker just days before he raped a Norfolk teenager, it has emerged. They visited the Yarmouth home of Bilal Darioglu in order to remove him from the country, but he was not there, the EDP understands.

JON WELCH

Immigration officials tried to seize a failed asylum seeker just days before he raped a Norfolk teenager, it has emerged.

They visited the Yarmouth home of Bilal Darioglu in order to remove him from the country, but he was not there, the EDP understands.

Days later, on October 26 last year, Darioglu raped a 19-year-old woman in the town.

Darioglu, 30, was arrested for the offence before the immigration officials returned. He pleaded guilty to rape, and on Wednesday was jailed for five years and placed on the sex offenders' register for life at Norwich Crown Court.

The court heard how Darioglu picked up his victim as she walked home in the early hours of the morning after a night out drinking with her friends.

Most Read

Instead of taking her home he drove her to another part of the town, removed some of her clothing and raped her on the back seat of his car.

The woman feared she may be seriously hurt or killed and had a panic attack, kicking out at Darioglu and managing to escape. She ran naked to some nearby houses where she found help.

Sentencing Darioglu, Judge Peter Jacobs expressed scepticism that he would be deported at the end of his sentence, saying he did not have the “remotest confidence” it would happen.

He added: “It's quite clear you should be deported. As to whether that will happen others will decide.”

Darioglu, a Turkish citizen, arrived in Britain on the back of a lorry in 2000. He applied for asylum but his bid was rejected, and he was ordered to be removed from Britain in 2005.

Matthew McNiff, prosecuting, told the court Darioglu's asylum claim was found to be “totally without merit”, adding: “He was to be deported but it would appear the Home Office immigration service was unable to find him.”

Home Office sources had originally denied claims made in court that Darioglu had been due for removal and that they had lost track of him. They suggested that at the time of the offence he was still in the country legally, awaiting the outcome of a judicial review.

It is now understood that was not the case, and that Darioglu, of no fixed address, had exhausted all legal channels to stay in the country by early 2006, months before he committed the offence.

A Home Office spokesman said: “We do not comment on individuals.

“We always seek to remove an individual as quickly as possible. However there may be legal barriers or other obstacles to their removal that need to be overcome.”