Not long now: Preparations under way for two concerts in Dereham tonight celebrating 50 years since Jimi Hendrix played the town
Preparations are well under way for one of the biggest live events in Dereham's history.
Hundreds of Jimi Hendrix fans are expected to paint the town purple tonight, as they celebrate 50 years since the legendary musician played a gig in Dereham.
Two tribute concerts, both at 9pm, have been organised to celebrate the day the Jimi Hendrix Experience played at the town's Wellington Club.
Top tribute act Purple Jimi will play a free entry gig at the Railway Tavern pub in the town and landlord Paul Sandford said he expects the venue to be full.
He said: 'One guy is coming 200 miles for the gig because he was at the original Hendrix gig 50 years ago.'
Tickets for the Norfolk Blues Society gig at The Metro in Dereham tonight have also been selling well.
Organiser Doreen Aitken said they were really looking forward to it.
- 1 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 2 Murder inquiry launched after teenager stabbed to death in Norwich
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 5 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 6 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 7 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 8 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
- 9 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 10 Norfolk to appear in TV show about world's most scenic rivers
Bands playing at The Metro include Dave Thomas, Ron Sayer & friends and Against the Grain and each will play from different Hendrix eras.
Mrs Aitken said: 'Against The Grain has the same line-up, apart from the drummer, that played a gig 25 years ago on the 20th anniversary of Hendrix's death.
'They have decided to play some of the lesser known songs for the real die-hard Hendrix fans, and from his Band of Gypsys album. There are some beautiful songs.'
Are you going to either gig? Email firstname.lastname@example.org