Norwich WWE star Paige hailed as a hero for providing shelter to Hurricane Harvey victims
- Credit: John Giamundo
Norwich-born wrestling star Paige and her husband Alberto Del Rio have been praised for their 'generosity and kindness' as America fought its first major hurricane in over a decade.
The former Hewett School pupil, aged 25, resides in San Antonio in Texas where Hurricane Harvey made landfall on August 25 - reaching winds of 130mph and causing more than 40 inches of rain to fall.
The wrestling duo took to local TV and offered to pay for hotels for those forced to evacuate and said they would hold adoption events for displaced animals once the storm was over.
Their gesture touched an 82-year-old couple who wrote to the couple to thank them for their generosity.
MORE: The Rock's Fighting With My Family takes over Gentleman's Walk as filming gets underway in NorwichPaige tweeted: 'Got this beautiful letter from an 82 year old couple! We helped many families but this letter really touched my heart. Happy to help.'
The letter sent to them said:'Words cannot express the feelings my husband and I have for your generosity and kindness that you have bestowed on us in our time of distress.
You may also want to watch:
'Never in our 82 years of age have we encountered such an act of sharing.
'Our home will be livable soon as power and utilities are restored.
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 3 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 4 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 5 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 6 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 7 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 8 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 9 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
'AEP is telling us that the power will be back on by 10:00pm on Friday night.
Whatever we all can do in this time of need will be appreciated #togetherwearestrong #RealMoments #harveyrelief
'Our older son's home is a total loss and younger son's apt/condo may be the same – have not been able to get to it.
'But all our family is safe.
'We are truly blessed with so much help and love from caring people like yourselves.
'Thank you from the bottom of our hearts and many blessings.'
MORE: Norwich family of wrestling stars open new city centre basePaige, real name Saraya-Jade Bevis, is the subject of a new film project by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson called 'Fighting with my Family' which stars Florence Pugh, Lena Headey and Nick Frost.
Paige's father and World Association of Wrestling (WAW) founder, Ricky Knight, also has a wrestling shop on Rose Lane in Norwich.