Norwich wrestler Paige makes surprise return to WWE after 17 months
- Credit: John Giamundo
A professional wrestler from Norwich returned to the WWE Universe after more than a year out of the ring.
Her comeback has been rumoured for months and on Tuesday night (November 20), Paige returned to WWE following a period of troubles, including injuries and suspensions.
Paige, real name Saraya-Jade Bevis, made a surprise appearance on WWE Raw during a match involving four other female wrestlers.
This was her first appearance in WWE since June 27 2016.
The 25-year-old received a huge ovation from the crowd as she made her entrance, asking: 'Did you miss me?'
You may also want to watch:
She added: 'I'm sorry ladies, I'm sorry I didn't mean to interrupt your business. I just had something to say to you and every single one of these people out here today and that is... I'm back!'
The former Divas Champion then revealed she hadn't come alone, as NXT stars Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville invaded the ring.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 7 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 8 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 9 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
Paige joined the group and the three of them took on Mickie James, Bayley and Sasha Banks, forming a new team.
Following the show, Paige's mother, Saraya Knight tweeted: 'I love that she's proving everyone wrong! You go Princess.'
She added: 'She's been through so much, her dad and I were in tears last night watching her. Huge thank you to @WWE for not giving up on her.'
Her brother, Roy Knight, also commented: 'Brings a tear to my eye, my sister is back on TV where she belongs. Thanks to all the fans for your support.'
Hailing from Norwich, Paige grew up as part of a family of wrestlers, The Knights, who are well known for forming the World Association of Wrestling, along with Jimmy Ocean.
Paige's journey from humble beginnings to WWE superstar captured the interest of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, who along with Stephen Merchant has adapted it into a film called Fighting With My Family.
The movie, due for cinematic release in 2018, stars Florence Pugh as well as Game of Thrones actress Lena Headey and Hott Fuzz star Nick Frost.
Various scenes were shot on location in Norfolk throughout April of this year, in both Norwich and Great Yarmouth.