Norwich woman beats depression after losing over 5 stone in just 9 months
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Norwich has started her own slimming group after losing five stone and regaining control of her mental health.
The death of a friend in 2004, coupled with demanding job pressures, saw 45-year-old Sarah Loades from Sprowston Road spiral into an unhealthy lifestyle.
She favoured fast food and wine over healthy eating and the gym and before she knew it she was shopping for size 20 clothes.
She said: 'Some of my favourite brands no longer sold anything in my size and I was obsessed with ensuring I was as covered up as I could be.
'I felt powerless to do anything about it.'
Determined to change her lifestyle, Sarah finally plucked up the courage to join Slimming World in October 2016 following a trip to Centre Parcs.
'I felt enormous in my swimming costume and some of the activities were such hard work,' she explained.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 4 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 5 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 6 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 9 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 10 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk
'I was less fit than my friend's 60-year-old parents.
'In that moment I made the decision to do something about it.'
In just nine months Sarah lost five stone and three pounds, shedding her size 20 clothes.
She also took part in many physical challenges: 'I was able to complete the 100 mile London to Surrey Prudential Ride London in July last year and the Amsterdam Half Marathon in October - two things that I never dreamed would have been possible a year ago!'
Sarah had also been treated for depression in the past and had struggled with her mental health for years before beginning to lose the weight.
'Since losing the weight and increasing my exercise it [depression] has ceased to be an issue for me and I have never felt better - both physically and mentally.'
She is now hoping to give back to the community and share her weight loss story.
This month Sarah will be re-launching the Slimming World Horsford group alongside her role as a Civil Servant.
The group will meet weekly and Sarah will show others how they can lose weight without going hungry.