Cheers! Community to come together for 10th winter beer festival
- Credit: Archant
Real ale-lovers have a special reason to raise a glass or two as a winter beer festival returns for its 10th year.
Heathlands Social Club at Blofield Heath, near Norwich, is staging its annual winter beer festival from Tuesday, November 12 until Sunday, November 17.
Organiser Alan Oakes, who was behind setting up the Heathlands winter and summer beer festivals, said that drinkers could come along and enjoy 12 specially-chosen winter real ales, which had been set up in racks, as well as another three beers at the bar.
If ale isn't to your taste, there are also three real ciders available.
The 12 racked beers - some light, some dark and others in between to suit all palates - come from around the UK to give a good range of tastes while the three winter beers available in the bar are from local brewers.
You may also want to watch:
The winter beer festival has become a popular event in the Heathlands social club calendar and helps to raise money to keep Heathlands community centre running.
Mr Oakes had the idea for the festival after going to one at a Cromer pub and approached the Heathlands committee about putting on its own. The Heathland winter and summer beer festivals took off and are now well established.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 3 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 6 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 9 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 10 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
He is expecting around 300 people to visit the festival over the week and sample around 1,000 pints of ale. Everyone is welcome to join in the festivities.
He said: "It is good PR, helps attract new members and is a good week all round."
The summer beer festival, which is held in July, will also be celebrating its 10th anniversary next year.
Heathlands Winter Beer Festival is open from 7.30pm until late Tuesday-Thursday, from 5.30pm on Friday, from 2pm on Saturday and from noon to 6pm on Sunday.
As well as the beer festival, Heathlands is holding another popular event this weekend with its annual Christmas fair on Saturday, November 16, from 2pm. There is a chance to get some early presents at a gift stall and there will also be cakes, a tombola, raffle for a luxury hamper and fun and games for the children.