Norwich supporters lead a mass applause at Carrow Road in tribute to Sir John Hurt
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Football fans at Carrow Road remembered Sir John Hurt who has died with a moment's applause at 77 minutes during today's match against Birmingham.
The award-winning actor, and star of The Elephant Man and Harry Potter, Sir John Hurt, who lived in north Norfolk, died aged 77 on Wednesday night following a battle with pancreatic cancer. The sporting tribute to the Hollywood star was announced on the Norwich City website.
It said: 'Everyone at Norwich City Football Club was saddened to hear of the passing of Sir John Hurt at the age of 77.
'Sir John lived in north Norfolk and became strongly affiliated with the Canaries, often cheering on the team at Carrow Road as a fan and as a guest of the directors.
'The Bafta-winning actor also developed strong links in the local community as chancellor of Norwich University of the Arts and patron of Cinema City.
'At this afternoon's match, supporters will lead a moment's applause on 77 minutes and the Club would like to encourage fans of both City and Birmingham City to join in as a mark of respect to Sir John and his family.'
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere in Norwich, Cinema City is showing the 2011 film In Love with Alma Cogan which stars Sir John tomorrow at 1pm.
It is being shown as part of the venue's Made in East Anglia series.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 6 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?