Big donations towards Norwich charity’s work for women with learning disabilities
- Credit: Opening Doors
Opening Doors, a Norfolk charity run by and for people with learning disabilities, has received a donation of £2,000 towards their work with women.
Carol Barber, a trustee for Opening Doors received the cheque from the Soroptimists of Norwich at a fundraising event held at Norwich High School for Girls.
The Soroptimists is an international women's organisation with a special focus on empowering and supporting women and girls.
Jill Ward, speaking on behalf of the Soroptimists, said that they had supported Opening Doors because the charity's work fitted well with their mission to transform the lives and status of women and girls through, education, empowerment and enabling opportunities.
Miss Barber, who has a learning disability, thanked the Soroptimists and said: 'At Opening Doors we give women information about their health in a way that makes it easier for them to understand.'
You may also want to watch:
Women with learning disabilities have lower health outcomes than the general population.
Through projects focussed on bringing easy-to-understand information to women with learning disabilities Opening Doors aims to support women to explore and feel more confident about health issues that may affect them.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 3 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 4 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 8 Teen in serious condition after bank holiday crash
- 9 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 10 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
Members also train health professionals about the best way to support people with learning disabilities through the telling of their own stories and experiences within healthcare settings.
The Soroptimists of Norwich has a full programme of events and meets on the first and third Mondays of each month.
For more information about Opening Doors visit www.openingdoors.org.uk or call 01603 631433.
For more information about Soroptimists email email@example.com