Norwich singer crashes out of The Voice - but gets married in Sprowston
Millions watched Sprowston singer Bill Downs crash out of TV show The Voice at the weekend, but it was still a happy ending for the musician – his exit meant he got to tie the knot with his childhood sweetheart.
The 24-year-old was on the team of The Script singer Danny O'Donoghue on the popular BBC talent show, but found himself pitted against Londoner Max Milner on Saturday night's show.
The pair were given Beggin' by Madcon to sing and wowed all judges, including Jessie J, Sir Tom Jones and will.i.am.
But, to the disappointment of former Sprowston High School pupil Bill, his mentor decided it was Max who would go through to the next round – the live finals.
Before he competed in the top-rated show, Bill and girlfriend Sacha Cullum had been due to get married. But his wife-to-be agreed to put the champagne on ice to give him his shot at stardom.
You may also want to watch:
The couple managed to re-book the church and reception venue after his early exit and the big day went ahead as scheduled.
He said: 'Obviously the show was pre-recorded so we pretty much had just over a month to get things back on track in terms of the wedding.
- 1 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 2 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 6 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 7 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 8 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 9 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich
- 10 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
'I was disappointed not to continue on the show but I knew it meant I could get married so it was bit of mixed emotions.
'It was bit of a win-win situation for me.'
The couple, who have been together since they were teenagers, got married at St Mary and St Margaret's Church in Sprowston. They are set to jet off for their honeymoon in Dubai and Mauritius tomorrow (Monday).
People can still root for local talent on The Voice.
Gorleston mum Toni Warne has made it through after dualling with Londoner Kirtsten Joy.
Miss Warne, of Jenner Road, was picked to continue by her voice coach, Jessie J.
Leanne Mitchell, 28, from Lowestoft, is also still in the competition.