Norwich sergeant’s no-shave charity challenge in aid of Decembeard
- Credit: Mark Shepherd
He is known for his selfies with members of the public while on the beat on busy Prince of Wales Road, tweeting under the hashtag #SelfiesWithCops.
But Sergeant Mark Shepherd, who may be Norfolk Police's most active officer on Twitter, has turned his hand to fundraising and is growing a beard to raise money for bowel cancer.
Sgt Shepherd is taking part in Decembeard, which will see him stay away from the razor for the whole month to raise money.
He first strayed from the shave last year, and ended up raising around £540. To celebrate he added an extra bit of glitz and glam to his New Year's Eve shift, by getting permission to have a 'glitter beard' for the night.
Now, just a few days in, Sgt Shepherd admitted it was getting a bit uncomfortable, but it was all for a good cause.
You may also want to watch:
'It's getting a bit itchy, and my wife isn't too keen,' said the 42-year-old.
'Last year I have really good support with people from work and elsewhere.'
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
So far, Sgt Shepherd's fundraising page has got off to a good start, with the total currently at £60.
But with most of the month left to go, he's hoping he can top his previous record.
To follow Sgt Shepherd's progress, follow him on Twitter @SgtMarkShepherd.
Or to donate, visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Sgt-MarkShepherd