Norwich’s Maddermarket Theatre set to stage 18th century comedy
- Credit: Mark Ivan Benfield
An 18th century comedy is set to take to the stage of Norwich's Maddermarket Theatre next week.
The Beaux' Stratagem by George Farquhar is the latest main house production being created at the city venue and it opens next Friday.
Described as an entertaining, colourful and saucy Restoration comedy, the play, which was first performed in 1707, tells of how Archer and Aimwell have fallen on hard times and plan to entrap young heiresses in small towns up and down the country, stealing their money and moving on.
The storyline, with all its comedy twists and turns, is played out in the Maddermarket production with a cast of 15 actors.
Clare Howard, the show's director, said: 'Thronging with lively characters and laughs, The Beaux' Stratagem is a wonderfully rumbustious comedy, with a touch of raunchiness too.'
The set for the show has been designed by Kirsty Masson and the production has been sponsored by The Friends of The Maddermarket Theatre.
The Beaux' Stratagem is at the Maddermarket Theatre from February 19 to 27.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 4 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 7 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 8 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 9 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 10 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
For more information and to book, call the box office on 01603 620917 or visit www.maddermarket.co.uk
Do you have a Norwich arts story?
Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at firstname.lastname@example.org